Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Finding Joy in Suffering

I've been doing Beth Moore's Bible Study - Living Beyond Yourself Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit.
I've got to admit now that Daniel is pretty much recovered from his surgery I am getting very antsy about Sweet Baby #2. I am just so ready to get matched with a birthmom and be able to minister to her, plus know that we have a baby coming.
Today's lesson really spoke to me. It has also been ironic that the Greek word for joy is chara and Daniel and I always wanted a little girl named Grace. The birthmom picked the first name in our failed adoption, but we had given her the middle name Grace. Our new girl name is Karis - the greek word for grace is charis. So you can see that in the Greek joy and grace are based from the same word - chara and charis. Anyway, that was kind of off the point.
Daniel and I always talk about hardships in our life. We joke that it is the "Sweet Curse". It's just a joke - we don't believe in curses. Life is hard and we realize that. We also realize that there are those out there that have it a WHOLE lot rougher than we do.
Tonight in my Bible Study Beth Moore says, "One reason God allows us to experience troubles is because He desires to reveal His joy to us through restoration." I realize that God allows us to experience troubles to grow us spiritually and to help us minister to others. After walking through these life situations I can honestly say that I'm thankful for them on the other side because they make me who I am today. I'm able to grow spiritually from the situation and it does help me to relate to others/minister to them when they are in a similar situation.
It seems there have been lots of trials in our almost 8 year marriage (Graves Disease for me when we had been married for 3 weeks, infertility, adoption, failed adoption, major surgery to name a few), but I'm thankful.
I am very ready though to see God bless us with another child, but I am also thankful for this time that I have to depend on Him to know what is best. (Although since it's been almost 20 months I hope that His best is soon) :)

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again... My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you." Psalm 71:20,23

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hang in there sweet friend. Fight the good fight.

NHP said...

Excellent and heart felt post. We all understand those times, you are not alone- the Lord sustains you and the body of Christ is behind you.
We look forward to seeing this good plan unfold!
Love you
Natasha