Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Hospital Trip & Visit From Nana, Papa and Aunt Jen


We had a first this week. On Wednesday Luke started running a very high fever. It got up to 104 degrees. We got him into the doctor Friday afternoon at 5:30. Daniel had to leave before we saw the doctor to go to church. The doctor looked him over and sent us over to the hospital to have his blood drawn and a flu test. Luke hasn't had his blood drawn since his blood work when we came home from Vietnam. I made Daniel go on that doctor visit with me. So here we are - just me and Luke - going to get his blood drawn. Poor kid had no clue what was coming to him and he felt so bad. We survived though. It's amazing what we can do when we have no other options because if at all possible I would have made Daniel go with me. Well, we stopped by Dairy Queen to get some dinner and got home at about 7:00. By 7:45 the doctor had called saying his blood work didn't look to good and he thought that we should stay the night in the hospital. I tried to call Daniel at the church and no one answered. So I called my mom. They were coming on Thursday anyway so they just headed this way after they got out of church. I tried calling Daniel again. I knew that he was probably still preaching. The poor lady that answered the phone...I asked her if she could give Daniel a message for me. Then I said that the doctor wanted to put Luke in the hospital and could he meet me there. She really didn't want to relay that kind of message. I went ahead and took Luke to the hospital. Thank God that I had a peace that I know could only come from Him the whole time. A student from our youth ministry beat Daniel to the hospital. He arrived shortly thereafter. Then all kinds of teenagers showed up. It was a party at the hospital! I felt bad for the nurses. The kids went out in the hall while they put Luke's IV in. He did cry a lot but he was quite the trooper. I think that will make pretty good birth control for the teenagers having to listen to that.His fever broke around noon on Thursday. He was feeling so much better. I made Daniel run home and get the camera. I hadn't wanted to take pictures of the occasion when he was feeling so bad. We got to go home around 10:00 Thursday night.

We celebrated Daniel's birthday and Easter with my mom, dad and sister since we won't see them again until after those occasions. They spoil Luke rotten. Jennifer had gone and bought a basketball goal for him. Nana and Papa got him a wheel barrow full of eggs, juice, goldfish, sunglasses, mini basketball goal and lots of other stuff. Nana would hide his eggs. They had lots of fun hunting eggs.

Luke is doing much better. He still seems to be recovering. He is sleeping alot and is fussy at times, but I'm so thankful that his fever is gone and he can get down and play!

3 comments:

Heather said...

My goodness - the poor little guy! I'm so sorry he got that sick and had to be hospitalized. Glad Luke is feeling much better!

Ly said...

I am so sorry to read about your ordeal. I hope everything is fine with Luke -- he was a little trooper! I'm glad he is feeling better. Many blessings.

Kerrie (aka Zak's mom!) said...

How scary for you and for him...I have been to the hospital WAY too many times with my niece and that is NEVER fun! You are a trooper and Luke was too! I'm glad that he is doing better and home once again!