Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Happy First Forever Family Day Lukas!!!

What a special day! I can't believe that it has been a whole year since Luke was officially ours! In some ways it feels like it was only yesterday that we were in Vietnam picking him up. And then there are other days that I don't remember what it was like to not have him around. He is such a special little boy. It is amazing how much he has grown and changed this year. He has gone from a quiet baby boy that wasn't so sure of things to a confident toddler. He has blessed us so much.
Over the last month I have been reflecting a lot on our journey to become parents. I was remembering one of my lowest moments when we were doing infertility treatments. I had just found out that a friend was going to have a baby. I remember crying and crying that night - not because I was bitter that my friend was pregnant. I just wanted to be a mother to a child so badly. I was thinking about that night a few weeks ago and remembered that my friends baby was born three days before Luke. And I realized that at the same time this was happening to me there was a brave, loving woman half way around the world that could have been scared and confused as she was finding out that she was going to have a baby. I thank her so much for giving our son life and for loving our child so much to make an adoption plan for him. She is definitely a hero in my book.
Lukas has brought us so much happiness and joy. We are so thankful that God blessed us with him. He is definitely the right kid for our family.
I chose some pictures to do a Year-in-Review slide show. Enjoy! And for your viewing pleasure a little video clip. Most of you know that we were sick the night that we got Luke. Well, Daniel did a Luke documentary while we were in Vietnam. So here is Day 7's video clip. It is so funny! Note for future travelers: Please do not get scared about getting sick. We ate grapes and shouldn't have. Just make sure that you don't eat any fruit that was rinsed in the water!


7 comments:

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

Such a great post! God is good, isn't He? I think this whole process is proof that "He turns my mourning into dancing again" for all of us!

Congratulations on the anniversary! Such a happy kid, such a happy family! Now that's what it's all about! :)

Dan and Elisabeth said...

Wonderful post! It is amazing how God works everything out in his perfect plan. Happy Forever Family Day!

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO good.
I love the year in review. What an amazing year. I am thankful that we are friends and that our children will know each other for life.
Have I ever told you the 'boxed lunch' story? I will have to do that very soon.
I enjoyed the day 7 video- yuck. Jynger is quite the woman holding your hair back while you threw up. Now that is excellent in-country care.
love,
Natasha

Ly said...

Congratulations to you all. What an incredible year you have had and we wish you a life time of beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing your thoughts of this special day with us.

Heather said...

Happy FFD, Lukas! Seeing all those pictures brought back so many memories of our anticipation to travel... It was such a pleasure to meet Lukas in person 3 days before we left for VN and your generousity to share details about Sarah with us even though you were probably worn out from travel. It was great to catch up with you on the phone yesterday. See you soon!

Scott and Leslie said...

Happy Gotcha Day Lukas!

erinlo said...

OK- Wow. That just totally brought back some amazing/ terrible memories. Being woken in the middle of the night to the sounds of violent hurling I KNOW was not as bad as being the ones to hurl. But, man, it was awful. I'm so sorry that happened to ya'll.

BUT, I am SO SO thankful we got to be in Vietnam with such a precious family. We adore Luke and so look forward to many more family days. I love you guys!